VAPING & MENTAL HEALTH
Recent studies have found a link between vaping and mental health issues. In fact, regular nicotine use can worsen anxiety and leave you more susceptible to experiencing symptoms of depression.
Current vapers have twice the odds of being diagnosed with depression compared with people who have never vaped.
Plus, it certainly doesn’t help that vapes and e-cigarettes contain toxic substances like arsenic, aluminum, and lead, which can negatively impact brain function, as well as overall health.
While these facts may leave you feeling a bit uneasy, there are plenty of helpful resources and solutions to help you overcome nicotine addiction and manage the mental health symptoms you may be experiencing.
Scroll to learn more.
QUITTING & MENTAL HEALTH
Mental health is complex and there are many factors that affect how you feel day to day. However, if you’ve noticed an uptick in your anxiety or worsening depression symptoms since starting vaping, it’s probably not a coincidence.
As we said before, regular nicotine use can negatively impact your mental health. So what can you do?
Here’s the good news: There’s now a body of literature showing that quitting nicotine can lead to reduced stress, anxiety, and depression. In fact, studies show that quitting nicotine may have as strong an impact on your mental health as taking antidepressants.
If you’re considering quitting vaping but unsure of where or how to start, we can help.
MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
If the thought of trying to quit vaping has you feeling a little overwhelmed, don’t worry. There are plenty of resources out there to offer support along the way. Here are a few we recommend:
- Get quitting support with This is Quitting. It’s an anonymous, text-based program designed to help you quit vaping. When you sign up, you’ll receive tips from real quitters, around-the-clock support, and daily motivation to keep you on track. Text DITCHVAPE to 88709 to get started.
- Breathe it out with Breathwrk. The #1 breathwork app offers science-backed breathing and meditation exercises to help you reduce stress, fall asleep faster, and stay energized throughout the day. Plus, Breathwrk teamed up with truth on three new “breaths” to support you on your quitting journey. These are specifically designed to help you strengthen your lungs, relieve anxiety, and cope with triggers and cravings that may arise. Learn more.
- Black Mental Wellness is a virtual community dedicated to the mental health and wellness of all Black people. Its mission is to provide access to evidence-based information and resources about mental health from a Black perspective, to highlight and increase the diversity of mental health professionals, and to decrease the mental health stigma in the Black community. Visit now.
- "Mental Health is Health” is an MTV Entertainment Group initiative rooted in the reality that we all have mental health and need to take care of it like we do our physical health. Explore resources to support you and help you take action, no matter what you’re feeling or experiencing. Check it out.
- Cope Notes is an anonymous resource that uses daily text messages to improve mental and emotional health. Each message combines peer support and positive psychology to interrupt negative thought patterns and train the brain to think healthier thoughts. Visit copenotes.com to subscribe.
GET HELP NOW
It can be hard to talk about your mental health, especially when you’re struggling, but reaching out for help is an important and necessary step to healing and recovery.
Take a mental health screening. Answer a few questions to learn more about your mental health. Take the test.
IN A CRISIS? For immediate help, reach out to the following resources:
- The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline is a national network of crisis centers that provides 24/7, free, confidential support to people experiencing emotional distress or suicidal crisis. Call or text 988 now to be connected to a trained counselor.
- The Crisis Text Line offers 24/7 support from trained crisis counselors, all from a secure online platform. Text HOME to 741741 to get connected now.
Remember, you deserve to be happy and healthy. If you need help, don’t delay – reach out now for support.