No Atlantan should have to put up with secondhand smoke... and now they don't have to.
Thanks to all of the hard work by Smoke-Free Atlanta and the Atlanta City Council, ATL has officially passed a law that will ban smoking and vaping in restaurants, bars, workplaces, the airport, and a ton of other public spaces.
It took a while - 15 years to be exact - but WE DID IT. A ridiculously huge "thank you" to everyone who took action to protect Atlantans from secondhand smoke. you guys are the real MVPs.
It's been a long, winding road.
- 2004 - The Atlanta City Council introduces a bill to prohibit smoking in restaurants.
- 2005 - The Georgia Smoke-free Air Act is enacted but still allows smoking in many public places.
- 2009 - A bill to prohibit smoking in bars, clubs and adult entertainment facilities did not pass in the Atlanta City Council, mostly due to opposition from businesses.
- 2012 - The Atlanta City Council passes a citywide smoke-free parks law.
- 2019 - The Atlanta City Council passes a law banning vaping and smoking in most public areas.
- 2020 - The comprehensive smoke-free law takes effect on January 2. (Woo!)
Join the fight now to stay tuned on our progress.