Truth Action Summit Application
Make a Difference. Further the Movement.
Calling All Change-Makers.
Are you a passionate, committed leader looking for ways to inspire change in your community? Do you want to sharpen your leadership skills and connect with fellow change-makers?
There's nothing holding you back. Join us this summer at a truth® Action Summit near you to learn how you can make a difference in the fight to end tobacco use and teen vaping for good.
What We're About:
When it comes to smoking prevention, truth doesn't hate. We instigate. We're not here to criticize or preach. We're here to arm everyone - smokers and non-smokers alike - with the tools to make a change.
What We Need:
We're looking for passionate, fun, outgoing people who want to make a positive impact in their local communities. Experience in tobacco control or vaping prevention isn't required - just a willingness to learn, work hard, and go the extra mile.
What You'll Do:
- Learn about tools and resources that will help you develop your leadership abilities.
- Connect with fellow leaders who are committed to creating lasting social change.
- Gain access to networks of experienced activists and change-makers.
- Receive training and guidance on how to mobilize for the 2019 National Day of Action.
- Learn and practice social media outreach.
Engage: Attend a three-day, all-expenses-paid summit to hone your leadership skills and learn effective activism tactics to prepare for the National Day of Action. Attendees at each summit will elect 10 students to serve on a regional action committee for the 2019-2020 school year.
Mobilize: Urge people in your school or community to participate and support the National Day of Action, a day in October where hundreds of truth® activists across the United States will take action and empower their communities to promote smoke-free policies.
Celebrate: The high school that mobilizes the most students for the National Day of Action will win a truth® party. We'll take care of everything: DJ, games, giveaways - all of it. It'll be a celebration to remember.
Location and Dates
Here's where each of the three summits will be held this summer:
- Midwestern Region (Cincinnati, OH) - July 16-18
- Southern Region (Little Rock, AR) - July 28-30
- Western Region (Los Angeles, CA) - August 1-3
Note: Participants will be invited to attend the summit that is nearest to their physical address.
We'll cover the full cost of travel, lodging, and meals for all accepted applicants, as well as one advisor for each group. Parents and guardians who aren't acting as advisors are more than welcome to attend, but they must cover their own expense.
Requirements and Application
- Must be an active memberof the applicant organization of program (if applicable).
- Must be 14-18 years of age on or before 7/1/19 and reside no further than 220 miles outside of the summit location. Special consideration will be given to applicants outside of this radius.
- Must be enrolled in high school or GED program.
- The applicant organization or program must not provide services to or receive services or anything of value from any "Tobacco Company" or the Foundation for a Smoke Free World ("FSFW"); a Tobacco Company. For purposes of this Section 12, the term "Tobacco Company" means any company that manufactures and/or distributes tobacco and/or tobacco-derived products intended for human consumption (including without limitation e-cigarettes) or any such company's parents, subsidiaries or affiliates.